you have studied this chapter, you should be able to:
Digestive System (p. 297)
- Trace the path of food in the digestive
tract, and describe the general structure and function of each organ mentioned.
- Describe peristalsis, and state its function.
- Describe the wall of the small intestine,
and relate its anatomy to nutrient absorption.
- Name the hormones produced by the digestive
tract that help control digestive secretions.
- Name the accessory organs of digestion,
and describe their contributions to the digestive process.
Mechanical and Chemical Digestion (p. 310)
- Name two structures which are involved
in mechanical digestion.
- Name and state the functions of digestive
enzymes for carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
Nutrition (p. 310)
- State the functions of glucose, fats,
and amino acids in the body.
- Define the terms essential fatty acid,
essential amino acid, and vitamin.
- Describe the functions of major vitamins
and minerals in the body.
Effects of Aging (p. 316)
- Anatomical and physiological changes occur
in the digestive system as we age.
Working Together (p. 316)
- The digestive system works with other
systems of the body to maintain homeostasis.
- Viral Hepatitis (p. 306)
- Human Teeth (p. 311)
- Antioxidants (p. 313)