|Anatomy and Physiology Saladin|
Online Learning Center
Critical Thinking Questions
Chapter 7: The Integumentary System
1. Although your friend meant well with a gift certificate for 10 sessions at local tanning salon, your better judgment tells you to decline the gift. Write a paragraph explaining why it can be dangerous to expose your skin to the rays emitted in tanning booths.
2. Review the anatomy and physiology of the skin by explaining (a) the mechanisms involved in sweating and shivering; (b) variations in individual skin color; (c) abnormal coloration of the skin (for example, cyanosis, jaundice, and pallor); and (d) the occurrence of acne.
3. During the aging process, the skin becomes drier, wrinkled, and slower to heal. Knowing that these are normal structural changes, how would you advise a middle-aged person to safeguard his or her skin as a protective organ?
4. A criminal wants to have his fingerprints obscured. What would he have to alter to make such a permanent change?
5. Why is scalp cancer more common in men than in women?
MHHE Home | About MHHE | Help Desk | Legal Policies and Info | Order Info | What's New | Get Involved