|Anatomy and Physiology Saladin|
Online Learning Center
Short Answer Questions
Chapter 17: The Endocrine System
1. Some hormones are produced by nerve cells called _______________.
2. The posterior pituitary releases only two hormones, _______________ and _______________.
3. Releasing and inhibiting hormones produced by the hypothalamusget to the anterior pituitary by way of blood vessels called the _______________.
4. Some endocrine glands elsewhere in the body suppress thesecretion of hormones by the pituitary. This is called _______________.
5. Hypersecretion of growth hormone causes _______________ if it occurs in childhood or adolescence and_______________ if it occurs in adulthood.
6. The metabolic rate is regulated by a large endocrine gland nearthe larynx called the _______________.
7. Hormones of the adrenal cortex fall into three categories: sexsteroids, _______________, and _______________.
8. The endocrine part of the pancreas consists of cell clusterscalled _______________.
9. Ninety percent of _______________ is caused by a lack of receptors for a pancreatic hormone,and cannot be treated with hormone injections.
10. The interstitial cells of the testis secrete _______________.
11. Thyroid hormone is hydrophobic and depends on a plasma protein, _______________, totransport it in the blood.
12. When a polypeptide hormone is first synthesized by a ribosome,it is in the form of an inactive precursor called a/an _______________.
13. Polypeptide hormones cannot enter their target cells and thusdepend on _______________ such as cAMP and IP3 to activate metabolic changes within them.
14. Two symptoms of diabetes mellitus are _______________, which means glucose in the urine, and_______________, which means an abnormally highlevel of glucose in the blood.
15. Because of the phenomenon of _______________, a single hormone molecule can ultimately cause a target cell toproduce millions of molecules of a metabolic product.
MHHE Home | About MHHE | Help Desk | Legal Policies and Info | Order Info | What's New | Get Involved