Introduction to Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sport Studies, Seventh Edition
This accessible introductory text explores the history, philosophies, and principles of today's physical education programs within a practical, career-oriented framework. The text explores the wide variety of career opportunities available, and includes a greater focus on non-teaching related careers in physical education and sport.
New to This Edition
- Enhanced photos throughout the text
- Updated content addresses new NATA Code of Ethics; sport marketing and promotions; program adherence factors; competencies for teachers; Title IX; intercollegiate athletics; drug testing, and much more!
- Chapter 6 outlines examples of how to prepare a career portfolio in anticipation of a job search.
- Career perspectives include new perspectives from a founder, business owner and physical therapist, a university vice president for student affairs, a university director of strength and conditioning, and a business co-owner and executive director.
- Added boxes on components and principles of physical fitness, professional organizations, sport managers competences, and exercise and sport sciences research resources.
- Definition boxes have been clarified and expanded with existing and additional key terms.
- The appendixes provide updated listings of professional journals and certifying organizations.
- Moving into the Future: National Standards for Physical Education, 2e may be packaged with this text for a minimal fee.
- Students can purchase a cost-saving alternative to their traditional printed textbook with a Zinio ebook.
- Information concerning school programs, higher education, athletics, and sport and fitness careers is presented not only to follow the trends in the field today, but to promote thinking about issues for the future as well.
- The text focuses on the umbrella of physical education programs, including intramurals (outside of education), inclusion, and child-centered curricula.
- Coverage of the Internet, integrated throughout the text, includes information on job searches and research topics.
- Information on exercise science is integrated throughout the text to highlight the relationship between exercise science, physical education, and sport studies.
- Research boxes encourage students to think about various avenues of research in physical education, exercise science, and sport studies.
- Instructor Website with Instructor's Manual, Computerized Test Bank, and PowerPoints to accompany Introduction to Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sport Studies / 0-07-328479-3
Table of Contents
Unit 1: Principles and Scope of Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sport Studies
1: Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sport Studies-Dynamic Fields
2: Exercise and Sport Sciences
3: The Profession of Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sport Studies
4: Philosophy of Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sport
5: Selecting a Career
6: Preparation for a Career
Unit 2: History and Development of Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sport
7: Sport in the Ancient World and Our European Heritage
8: Early American Physical Education and Sport
9: Twentieth Century Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sport
Unit 3: The Changing Nature of Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sport
10: Opportunities and Challenges in Physical Education and Exercise Science
11: Issues in Sports
12: Living Actively in the Twenty-First Century
Appendix A: Professional Journals Relating to Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sport
Appendix B: Certifying Organizations