|| Concepts of Physical Fitness 10e Corbin||
|Online Learning Center
Concept 6: The Health Benefits of Physical Activity
Concept 6: The Health Benefits of Physical Activity
Facts About Physical Activity, Fitness, and Disease Prevention/Treatment
- There are three major ways in which regular physical activity and good fitness
contribute to optimal health and wellness.
- Too many adults suffer from hypokinetic diseases.
- The link between regular physical activity and good health is now well documented.
- Regular physical activity may overcome the effects of heredity over a lifetime.
- Hypokinetic diseases and conditions have many causes.
The Facts About Physical Activity and Cardiovascular Diseases
- There are many types of cardiovascular diseases.
- The various forms of cardiovascular disease are the leading killers in automated
- A wealth of statistical evidence led to the conclusion that physical inactivity
is a primary risk factor for CHD.
The Facts About Physical Activity and the Healthy Heart
- There is evidence that regular physical activity will increase the ability
of the heart muscle to pump blood as well as oxygen.
The Facts About Physical Activity and Atherosclerosis
- Atherosclerosis is implicated in many cardiovascular diseases.
- Atherosclerosis, which begins early in life, is the result of a systematic
build-up of deposits in an arterial wall.
- There is evidence that regular physical activity can help prevent atherosclerosis.
- Lipid Deposit Theory
- Protective Protein Theory
- Blood Coagulant (Fibrin and Platelet) Theory
The Facts About Physical Activity and Heart Attack
- Heart attack is the most prevalent and serious of all cardiovascular diseases.
- Regular physical activity reduces the risk of heart attack (coronary occlusion).
- There is evidence that regular exercise can improve coronary circulation
and thus reduce the chances of a heart attack or dying from one.
- The heart of the inactive person is less able to resist stress and is more
susceptible to an emotional storm that may precipitate a heart attack.
- Regular physical activity is one effective means of rehabilitation for a
person who has coronary heart disease or who has had a heart attack.
Physical Activity and Other Cardiovascular Diseases
- Regular physical activity and accompanying good physical fitness are associated
with a reduced risk of high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Regular physical activity can help reduce the risk of stroke.
- Regular physical activity is helpful in the prevention of peripheral vascular
The Facts About Physical Activity and Other Hypokinetic Conditions
- Physical activity reduces the risk of some forms of cancer.
- Physical activity plays an important role in the management and treatment
of Type II diabetes.
- Regular physical activity is important to maintaining bone density and decreasing
risk of osteoporosis.
- Active people who possess good muscle fitness are less likely to have back
and other musculoskeletal problems than inactive, unfit people.
- Physical activity is important in maintaining a healthy body weight and
avoiding the numerous health conditions associated with obesity.
- Physical activity reduces the risk and severity of a variety of common mental
(emotional) health disorders Common mental (emotional) health disorders can
be considered hypokinetic conditions.
- Regular physical activity can have positive effects on some nonhypokinetic
- Chronic Pain.
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS).
Physical Activity and Aging
- Regular physical activity can improve fitness and improve functioning among
- Regular physical activity can compress illness and limited functioning into
a shorter period of life.
Facts About Health, Fitness, and Wellness Promotion
- Physical activity enhances metabolic fitness that can reduce risk of a variety
of health problems.
- Good health-related physical fitness and regular physical activity are important
to health promotion and feeling well.
- Good physical fitness can help an individual enjoy his or her leisure time.
- Good physical fitness can help an individual work effectively and efficiently.
- Good physical fitness is essential to effective living.
- Good physical fitness may help you function safely and assist you in meeting
- Physical fitness is the basis for dynamic and creative activity.
- There are many economic benefits associated with employee physical activity.
The Facts About Risk Factors
- There are many different positive lifestyles that can reduce the risk of
- Not all risk factors are under your personal control.
- Altering risk factors can help reduce the risk of more than one adverse
condition at the same time.
- Risk reduction does not guarantee freedom from disease.
- Reducing risk alters the probability of disease, but does not assure disease
- Too much physical activity can lead to hyperkinetic diseases or conditions.
Strategies for Action: The Facts
- A self-assessment of risk factors can help you modify your lifestyle to
reduce risk of heart disease.
- A general health and medical history completed now can provide a basis for
making health decisions in the future.
Begin a search: Catalog | Site | Campus Rep
MHHE Home | About MHHE | Help Desk | Legal Policies and Info | Order Info | What's New | Get Involved
Copyright ©1998 The McGraw-Hill Companies. All rights reserved.
McGraw-Hill Higher Education is one of the many fine businesses of The McGraw-Hill Companies.
For further information about this site contact firstname.lastname@example.org.