|| Concepts of Fitness and Wellness 3e Corbin||
|Online Learning Center
Concept 1: Health, Wellness, Fitness, and Healthy Lifestyles: An Introduction
Concept 1: Health, Wellness, Fitness, and Healthy Lifestyles:
Facts About Health and Wellness
- Good health is of primary importance to adults in our society.
- Health varies greatly with income, gender, age, and family origin.
- Increasing the span of healthy life is a principal health goal. (Web)
- Health is more than freedom from illness and disease.
- Many illnesses are manageable and have only limited effect on total health.
- Wellness is the positive component of optimal health.
- Health and wellness are multidimensional.
- Wellness reflects how one feels about life as well as one’s ability to function effectively.
- Health and wellness are integrated states of being.
- Health and wellness are individual in nature.
- It is possible to possess wellness while being ill or possessing a debilitating condition.
- Wellness is a useful term that may be used by quacks as well as experts.
Facts about Physical Fitness
- Physical fitness is a multidimensional state of being.
- The health-related components of physical fitness are directly associated
with good health.
- The skill-related components of physical fitness are more associated with
performance than good health.
- Metabolic fitness is a non-performance component of total fitness.
- Bone integrity is often considered to be a non-performance measure of fitness.
- The many components of physical fitness are specific in nature, but are
- Good physical fitness is important to, but is not the same as physical health
The Facts About Healthy Lifestyles
- Lifestyle change, more than any other factor, is considered to be the best way of preventing illness and early death in our society.
- The major causes of early death have shifted from infectious diseases to chronic lifestyle related conditions. (Web)
- Healthy lifestyles are critical to wellness.
- Regular physical activity, sound nutrition, and managing stress are considered to be priority healthy lifestyles.
- The shift in causes of illness and the new emphasis on fitness, wellness, and healthy lifestyles has resulted in a shift toward prevention and promotion in addition to disease treatment.
The HELP Philosophy: The Facts
- The HELP Philosophy can provide a basis for making healthy lifestyle change possible.
- A personal philosophy that emphasizes Health can lead to behaviors that promote it.
- Everyone can benefit from healthy lifestyles.
- Healthy behaviors are most effective when practiced for a Lifetime.
- Healthy lifestyles must be adopted based on Personal needs.
Strategies for Action: The Facts
- Self-assessments of healthy lifestyles will help you determine areas in which you may need changes to promote optimal health, wellness, and fitness.
- Initial self-assessments of wellness and fitness will provide information for self-comparison as you learn more about health, wellness and fitness. (Web)
Begin a search: Catalog | Site | Campus Rep
MHHE Home | About MHHE | Help Desk | Legal Policies and Info | Order Info | What's New | Get Involved
Copyright ©1998 The McGraw-Hill Companies. All rights reserved.
McGraw-Hill Higher Education is one of the many fine businesses of The McGraw-Hill Companies.
For further information about this site contact email@example.com.