|| Concepts of Fitness and Wellness 3e Corbin||
|Online Learning Center
Concept 17: Managing Diet and Activity for Healthy Body Fatness
Concept 17: Managing Diet and Activity for Healthy Body
The Facts: Lifestyles and Fat Control
- The best way to control body fatness is to establish and maintain a healthy
The Facts About Goal Setting for Fat Control
- The first step in fat control is establishing realistic goals.
- Goals that emphasize the behavior of eating less and exercising more are
more effective than those emphasizing a specific outcome such as weight or
fat lost (or gained).
- People who have a large amount of fat to lose may do better setting short-term
rather than long-term goals.
- Record keeping is important to meeting fat control goals and making moderation
a part of your normal lifestyle.
- Account for changes in body water when monitoring body weight.
Facts About Behavioral Supports for Fat Control
- The support of family and friends can be of great importance balancing calorie
intake and calorie expenditure.
- Group support can be one of the best reinforcers of proper eating and exercise
- There are some psychological strategies that can be of assistance in eating
and exercising to attain and maintain a desirable level of body fatness.
Some Facts About Eating and Fat Control
- Fad diets are not a satisfactory means to long-term weight reduction and
may adversely affect your health.
- Artificial sweeteners and fat substitutes may help, but are not a "sure
cure," for body fatness problems.
- Diets that emphasize one specific nutrient are typically ineffective and
can be dangerous.
Some Facts About Physical Activity and Fat Control
- Regular physical activity is essential for long term weight control
- Physical activity can contribute to a greater loss of body fat than through
The Facts about Gaining Weight
- Some individuals wish they could gain weight
- Dietary changes may be needed if increasing muscle mass is the goal.
- Physical activity is important in gaining muscle mass.
Strategies for Action: Dietary Guidelines for Weight Control
- There are some general guidelines for eating that can help people interested
in losing body fat.
- There are some guidelines about shopping that can help people interested
in fat control.
- There are some guidelines about the way you eat that can be useful in fat
- There are some guidelines that are useful for controlling the home environment
to aid in fat loss.
- There are some guidelines for controlling the work environment to aid in
- There are some guidelines about eating on special occasions that can be
useful in fat loss.
- There are some guidelines about "eating out" that can be useful
in fat loss.
- Many of the eating guidelines that are useful for fat loss are also valuable
in maintaining desirable levels of body fat.
- Knowing about guidelines for controlling body fatness is not as important
as following them.
- Keeping records of calories consumed and calories expended can be an effective
tool in maintaining a healthy body composition throughout life
Begin a search: Catalog | Site | Campus Rep
MHHE Home | About MHHE | Help Desk | Legal Policies and Info | Order Info | What's New | Get Involved
Copyright ©1998 The McGraw-Hill Companies. All rights reserved.
McGraw-Hill Higher Education is one of the many fine businesses of The McGraw-Hill Companies.
For further information about this site contact email@example.com.