The Fitness Boom
Are Americans More Active?
- Americans are more active than they were 10 years ago. Americans aged six and older who participate on a regular basis in sports, fitness or outdoor activities grew 19% from 1987 - 1996.
- Even though activity in America is increasing only 34% of the population participates in sports, fitness and outdoor activities frequently.
- Data indicate that those 45 years old and older are participating more than ever in fitness activities. From 1987 to 1996 individuals participating in activities in this age category increased 47%
Will the trend toward increased activity of Americans continue?
Some of the support for a continued increase in activity includes:
- The belief that exercise can be used as preventive medicine.
- The Surgeon General's Report on Physical Activity and Health, issued in 1996.
- Media coverage of exercise and its importance to health.
- The example of baby boomers--and their elders--who use exercise to help manage their lives.
- Encouragement given to children to become involved in sports.
Data for sprot, activity, and recreational activities is collected annually by American Sports Data, Inc. Hartsdale, N.Y. and is sponsored in part by the Fitness Products Council.