Problems with Fad Diets
- Weight loss is often water loss
- Appetite suppressants (e.g.Ephedra) may be dangerous or addictive
- High protein diets can be damaging on kidneys
- Low calorie diets may lack essential nutrients and fiber.
- Metabolism may slow down if caloric intake is very low - this impairs weight loss
- Weight loss is temporary unless permanent .lifestyle changes are made. With repeated cycles .of dieting, it becomes progressively harder to lose .the weight and keep it off (Yo-Yo dieting)
- Increased resistance to weight loss
- Increased efficiency of weight gain
A Summary of Issues Regarding YoYo.html
Click icon to learn more .about yo-yo dieting
This slide lists some of the common pitfalls about fat diets. There really is no substitute for healthy lifestyles for the maintenance of a healthy body weight.