Potential Mechanisms for Effects of Exercise on Stress Reduction
- Exercise provides time away from the stresses of the day. This mechanism is difficult to discount.
- Endorphins are opiate-like chemicals that the body produces naturally during periods of stress or physical exertion to relieve pain. Some evidence suggests that they may be involve
- During exercise, the body releases higher levels of dopamine. These hormones
- Exercise increases core body temperature
- Exercise can be a gratifying and fulfilling activity for people. The act of doing something good for self can promote self-esteem
There are a variety of hypothesized mechanisms for the benefits of exercise on stress reduction. It is difficult to isolate the primary mechanisms. It is possible, that individuals may be influenced by these benefits in a differential manner.
Photo courtesy of Polar Electro Oy - Photo CD