Common Transitional Words and Phrases
The following list, categorized by type of relationship, provides examples ofsome common and useful transitional words andphrases.
- cause and effect: consequently, therefore, accordingly, as a result, because, for this reason, hence, thus
- sequence: furthermore, in addition, moreover, first, second, third, finally, again, also, and, besides, further, in the first place, last, likewise, next, then, too
- comparison or contrast: similarly, also, in the same way, likewise, although, at the same time, but, conversely, even so, however, in contrast, nevertheless, nonetheless, notwithstanding, on the contrary, otherwise, still, yet
- example: for example, for instance, in fact, indeed, of course, specifically, that is, to illustrate
- purpose: for this purpose, for this reason, to this end, with this object
- time or location: nearby, above, adjacent to, below, beyond, farther on, here, opposite to, there, to the south, before, after, later, afterward, immediately, in the meantime, meanwhile, now, since, soon, then, while
## Common Transitional Phrases ##
[ Home | Table of Contents| Writing Timeline | Index |Help | Credits]
The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc..