ChemQuest - Chapter 18
1. Go to the course animations list at http://ull.chemistry.uakron.edu/genobc/. Download number 39 on diffusion, and answer the questions after watching the movie.
- (a) When the barrier is released, does entropy increase or decrease? Is that a positive or negative change?
- (b) Will the molecules ever spontaneously separate back to how they were initially? What law of thermodynamics does this obey?
2. Scott R. Goode and Edward E. Mercer of the University of South Carolina produce a site on chemical thermodynamics at http://www.chem.sc.edu/GOODE/C112Web/Ch17nf/index.htm.
Click through the slides to answer questions below.
- (a) What can you conclude about free energy of a system?
- (b) Is the freezing of water exothermic or endothermic? What is DG?
- (c) How is the standard free energy related to K, the equilibrium constant?